Friday, September 02, 2005

Getting into character

One thing about this project I find so appealing is the chance to really get inside a character's head. Since we each handle different characters, it's fun to concentrate on the different sections and imagine how my character would react to something someone else has written, and then write it! Collaborative writing is something new for me, and I find working with other writers really expands my brain and creativity.

So, what do I do to get into character? A lot of it is music. Aidan is a musician, alternative/punk/goth rock...so I listen to lots of that sort of music and try to "channel" him. He's got a bit of a swagger to him, so I sneer a lot when I'm writing him. (Don't mock!) I also read his dialogue aloud.

The beauty of writing brothers is that I can have them interact and have a lot of fun, angsty plot and at the same time explore how very different they are!

It's great!

Megan

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Blog looks great!

Plus I love the inside info! I thinkI'm weird. I can't listen to music while I write. I have certain music for each book project, that I listen to while I'm working on it,( workign out, cleaninghouse, driving) but not while I'm actually writing.

I thinkit helps me stay in the right state of mind, but when i sit to write, it distracts me. Everythign distracts me...lol
Make sense?

4:26 PM  
Blogger ExBF said...

Why am I looking forward to this? It's not like me watching the freakin' Desperate Housewives isn't bad enuff. Just don't tell anybody... ;)

5:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home